Tales from a Storyteller

Feel free to RP here! Make sure you post where a topic takes place and who may participate (or OPEN if everyone's invited!)

Tales from a Storyteller

Postby Prodromus » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:20 pm

Prodromus will beckon to any and all of the adventurers of the guild that are around and wish to hear the story he has to tell.

"My fellow guild mates. Many of you know me as a noble, as a scholar, or as a student. I will tell you all that I am but a storyteller, and that I now have a story of some importance to tell all of you. It will help us in the new mission we have undertaken.

"Only a short while ago, here in the Ruby City, there was a great gem. This gem was most precious to the Sultan of the Onyx City, and was stolen from him by a thief. Now, that had resided within this city for some twenty years before the Sultan found it, for it had been altered by the power of an Efreet to take on a different appearance, but the thief's deal with that Efreet came to an end, and with it went the ability to hide the gem.

"Now, the thief and gem have been reclaimed by the great Sultan of the Onyx City, and were locked away in a cold, white marble tower. This tower is known as the Tower of Vultures, and is both a prison and treasury. It holds many valuables that are precious to the Sultan, and so now it holds the thief and gem. Such a place is known to have been warded against all magics, and is protected by traps and soldiers.

"Though, fear not, for we do have advantages in freeing such a prisoner as is held there. First, we are all but unknown to the Sultan and his men. They would not be expecting us. Second, we have the aid of a storyteller, much like myself, but more experienced and skilled. Such a storyteller has given us the key pieces that we will need in order to rescue such a prisoner.

"In order to rescue this prisoner, we must be hale, or clever, or strong. One among us must possess powers granted by the path of Mind. One must be willing to go where the Night goes. And, one must not be faint of heart. All of these elements will be required or we are sure to fail.

"I will have more stories to come, but for now, are there any questions or comments that the listeners wish to ask of this storyteller?"

On that he will sit and wait to see if any respond.
Prodromus

Re: Tales from a Storyteller

Postby Rothomyr » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:32 pm

*rothomyr can be heard mumbling something about how Prodromous is a better speaker in a gruff manner*
After the stroy has finished he will look around seeing that no one is ready to speak...
"Sos, uhs, its aints reallys as gems is its?"
Last edited by Rothomyr on Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rothomyr

Postby Shawna » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:04 pm

B'hari listens the lamplight warm as it glints off her skin. After Rothomyr she speaks.

"The storyteller you speak of? Is it Candle?"

She nestles back against her seat and awaits an answer.
Shawna

Postby Prodromus » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:32 am

"There is much allegory in my story just as in that of the original storytellers.

"For note, the storyteller is at once and the same the gem, the thief, and the prisoner. From what I can gather of the story, there lives a Sultan of the Onyx City. That Sultan was possessed of a daughter, whom he affectionately referred to as the Sanguin Onyx, due to her coloration and his view of her as precious.

"Many years ago, his daughter grew disillusioned with her life, and longed for the stories that she had heard of adventure. She stole this gem away from him, disguising herself and joining an adventuring company. At one point, she and her companions encountered the Effreat we have all met. She made an interesting bet with him, and apparently won. My assumption is that she wagered something very interesting, and won a change in her appearance, so she was no longer the Fellblood of red and black that she once was, but the coloration that we knew her as. This was the disguise that kept her safe here for some twenty years. I can also assume that whatever deal she won with the Effreat came to an end very recently, and that those we fought off in the streets a few months ago were but the first of said Sultan's me coming to reclaim his daughter.

"To be clear. Ankabi is the storyteller of which I speak, though few, if any of us, actually knew of her prowess. She is also the thief, the gem, and the prisoner. These last three are terms she used for herself in the letters she left me."
Prodromus

Postby Rothomyr » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:49 pm

Seeming to mull over the details of what has just been explained to him for a bit
"Sos whats? Shes dones gones missings ors captureds ors whatevers ands wes gots tos gos finds hers ands brings hers backs heres?"
Rothomyr

Postby Prodromus » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:35 pm

"Ankabi has been taken, and against her will. She has been returned to the Onyx City and is being held prisoner. We know where she is, just not exactly how to get her out. We do this because she asked us to do so. A while back she told us that if she ever went missing, to find her. She left these letters, these stories, for me to use so that we could rescue her, because if she went missing then she feared being returned to where she never wanted to go back."
Prodromus

Postby pathfinderq1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:25 pm

"Do we even have them other things we're s'possed ta need?," says a quiet rasp of a voice from, well, somewher in the room (most likely under some piece of furniture. "A person with powers of the path of Mind? I know SHE does, but who else is there? There was a stoneborn adept- ain't seen him lately; s'possed ta be another 'therealist, ain't seen him at all; somebody said there was a mender... But who's actually here, that we can count on? And 'one must be willing to go where the Night goes?' What's that even mean? Someone who can see in the dark, or a vampire what only comes out at night, or somethin' else? And if this is a break-in, who else knows a thing about locks, really good ones, or traps, like magic ones?"
pathfinderq1

Postby Shawna » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:15 pm

The celestine's wings communicate her troubled state best. Arcing and releasing by turns as she leans forward to speak. "Supposing this is possible for us as you suspect it might be. What do we risk in doing this Prodromus? What consequences of law and gods do we face for challenging the sovereignty of a sultan and the duties of filial piety?"
Shawna

Postby Rothomyr » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:41 pm

pondering over ishaqs words "Ankhabi's onces tolds mes ofs a's realms that's she's beens toos thats she's coulds goes throughs......maybes its somes kinds of rituals?"
Rothomyr

Postby Prodromus » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:21 am

"If you want to know the legality of this, talk to Delah'ari. However, know that this is not a legal matter so much as a political one. We risk much to rescue her. Should we be captured, we will probably be imprisoned at best, and executed at worst. Either way we will be made example of to ensure that no one else tries to rescue her. Should things go badly, or should we succeed, and we escape, we could cause tension between the Onyx and Ruby cities. Then it comes to the Sultan of the Onyx City to decide if it is worth his effort and resources to invade the Ruby City for its slight, or simply try to kidnap her again. That is why we need some amount of secrecy in this endeavor.

"I will talk to those I have contact with, including my Castellan and others among the Ruby Court, and ask for what aid they may be able to give us. Some may gain great pleasure or prestige in aiding us in slighting the Onyx Sultan."
Prodromus

Postby Rothomyr » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:40 pm

"I's thinks somes ofs us ares less concerneds abouts thes slightings ofs peoples, as wes ares abouts thes rewards ors challenges thats wes mights faces. Thoughs somes ofs us woulds likes its ifs maybes yous remindeds us ofs whys wes shoulds goes. I'ms goings becauses theres is news enemies tos bes foughts ands someones I's likes tos bes saveds." he makes eye contact with those in the room in hopes they speak up
Rothomyr

Postby pathfinderq1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:18 pm

There is a hiss of breath- it might be a sigh. "So then nobody really knows anything about the actual voyage we're looking at? No idea where the reefs are, what kind of sharks we can expect; just want us to jump in the boat and go..." In the stress of the moment, Ishaq lapsed into the pseudo-nautical slang of Kishar's streets. From whatever corner he was sheltered in, it seemed he glanced around the room, looking at those who were present but had not spoken. "I don't much care about the Onyx Sultan, slighted or not. Kishar is my home, and I don't much care about those lesser cities at all. But just jumping into this, with no idea where we're going, no good charts in hand... Never mind that, not even anyone who could read the charts if we had them. Sounds like putting out to sea with no sail, no water, and no bucket to bail. If anybody has some scraps to put in, now is the time..."
Last edited by pathfinderq1 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
pathfinderq1

Postby Shawna » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:12 pm

It is not for me to decide if I shall go or stay.

As for scraps their glassmaking is without par in all the jeweled cities I often purchase their vials for my potions and reagents as they are the best. Many of the traders take the Onyx road up from Senabi. If you wish to learn more I suspect the market nearest this gate is the best place to begin and it would behoove you to spend some time in Senabi to learn as much as you may.
Shawna

Postby Prodromus » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:38 am

"Ishaq, I don't currently have the specifics. I'm sure our guild master has more, and is making the arrangements to get us there, since he is more familiar with the Onyx City from his own travels. In fact, he was the one that told me of the tower. Beyond that, I am looking up what I can from the libraries, and have some of the Daihonsha librarians helping me as best they can. It is a lengthy process, though, and will take some time. I will let everyone know what information I have when I learn more.

"I'm also calling in some favors with my other connections to see if they know some people in the Onyx City that might be able to help us out should we get into trouble."
Prodromus

Postby pathfinderq1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:02 am

"Every thing we can find out, we need that and more. Voyage like this, it would be the sort of thing you would want to plan out for months, with every detail checked. I mean, that's what I've heard, from folks who have done things like this..." Ishaq sighed again. "I've been asking around a bit as well, and I know some folks who might know somebody who has heard something useful 'bout the city, or better yet about that 'Tower of Vultures' place- still waiting to see if they know anything actually worth listening to. You said we have to be hale, or clever, or strong- I would kind of favor clever."
pathfinderq1

Postby Prodromus » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:01 pm

"We could use all three in some amount, so it is good that you are being clever. I would favor hale, though I can insert clever as well. I'm hoping to find out some information on the Sultan's Guard in the Onyx City. If we could get a heraldry or uniform, we might be able to mock up some passing replicas in order to try and pass for more troops being stationed at the tower. That might at least fool some of the guards there."
Prodromus

Postby Rothomyr » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:33 pm

"I's agrees withs Ishaq's....thes Highs preists ats mys temples says 'It is the rule in war, if ten times the enemy's strength, surround them; if five times, attack them; if double, be able to divide them; if equal, engage them; if fewer, be able to evade them; if weaker, be able to avoid them' I's feels wes alls knows wheres weres ares ins thats....." he nods seeming to remember something else "Ifs wes descideds tos goes throughs thes Atherials Planes withs ans Ethereialists thens wes shoulds bes readies fors thes creatures wes mights faces theres...."
Rothomyr

Postby Shawna » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:32 pm

I had thought the Guildmaster was at odds with Ankhabi. Why would he help you Prodromus?
Shawna

Postby Bey Del ahari » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:50 am

'Ah, if it is legality you ask about, he must remind all that he one whose property we seek is in fact, a judge, jury, and occasional executioner, as it fancies him. However, he must also add that politically, it might not be as simple as just a minor slight against another jeweled city - this is the SULTAN of the Onyx city, not just someone who wields power. He is power. More importantly, the laws of the Onyx city differ in some regards from those of Kishar, but I digress...

We have a charge given to us but doing so has consequences. Already, trusted allies within the merchant's guild have warned caution, as a conflict between the cities would hamper trade and deprive Kishar citizens of many important goods, including B'hari's precious glass. There is a cost should he learn of our presence, success or failure.

He is requesting supplies from the merchants, as they are reluctant to aid in any other way. He is also nervous about sneaking around a sultan's palace in his current state - it seems that the curse of the coin has had some longstanding effects on his ability to nimbly move, which means that he risks much by joining this endeavor. Yet, it must be done.

He also agrees with Rothomyr - this endeavor, however stupidly noble and just and all that it might be *sigh*... If he risks his own hide for Ankhabi, she is going to pay, up front and well. Ishaq speaks true... It is unwise to reach into a basket of vipers without looking, and I think the sensibilities of some of your are either impassioned and thus blind, or your loins are hot for the caress of a felblooded and you are equally blinded... Which he himself can deliver you should you prefer and we can forgo the suicide mission we are currently set on.

Loyalty is good. However, what she asks of us is akin to suicide. he hopes the etherealist won't mind giving us access to her father's vaults in fair payment for such a great risk.... She escapes and gets out of a marriage, and he will wallow in more solari than he can count for the remainder of his days...
Bey Del ahari

Postby Prodromus » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:22 am

"B'hari, Rashaad is an old friend and adventuring companion of Ankabi's. Once we had the information from her as to where she was, he filled in some exacts for me based on her allusions. He was the one, that once I brought the letters forward, decided to throw the guild's resources behind this endeavor. Now, he cannot provide everything, so we will need as much information and resources on this end, as well as some help on the other side."
Prodromus

Next

Return to Roleplay (IC)